SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
God's Promise

Thursday, March 27, 2008

PETS

As I am sitting here at my computer, I can look up and see a picture of Spunky, the first dog we had after we moved to Memphis. I had told my girls that we would get one when, and if, we ever had a fenced-in backyard. Well, this came about and they were quick to remind me of my promise, so the next day we went to the animal shelter. Although we saw a lot of cute dogs, there was one who just captured our hearts and so we took him home with us (after the usual procedures of adopting a pet).

We named her Spunky and she was really the most precious dog. My Mom was living with us then and she fell in love with him, too. And although she slept on Cathie's bed every night, when we are all at home she had no favorites. We would be sitting in the living room watching TV and she would go sit by Mom, then came over by me, then Cathie and then Barbie. She truly loved us all the same. She was with us for almost 13 years and we all have many, many memories we could share. Probably the two things I remember most is how she would go to the door every school day afternoon and sit up so she could look out the storm door about two or three minutes before the girls would get home from school. Then at night, right at 10 PM, (bed time for the girls), she would go into the hall, turn around and look at them as if to say, "okay, it's time you came to bed." Needless to say, she was a very smart dog and even after my Mom went blind, and we were worried about her tripping over Spunky, she was always alert and never got in Mom's way. That was about the time that she started being more partial - and that was toward Mom. It was as if she knew and understood. Of course when we lost her, it was hard on all of us but we will never forget her.

Many people say that pets are "just animals" but for us, and I am sure many of you who have pets, they are like one of the family and we love them dearly.

Because I live in an apartment, I will probably never have another pet, but at least I can enjoy the cats and dogs that my children and grandchildren have as part of their families. May they all be as blessed, and be a blessing to them, as Spunky was to me and my girls.

1 comment:

Barbie said...

I have wonderful memories of Spunky too!!! I remember that she didn't like thunder and would hide under the bed. We would go get ice cream and sometimes we would get her some and she would lick it from the cup. She was a wonderful pet.