SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
God's Promise

Monday, February 23, 2009

GEORGE AND THE CHERRY TREE

Yesterday was George Washington’s birthday, and if we think about him, we picture him as the “Father of our Country”, our first President of these great United States. And just about everyone has heard the story of George and the cherry tree. There probably isn’t a child alive who hasn’t been told about this episode at least once. But I wonder how many have remembered it!

Apparently not many, or if they did, they just have not paid any attention to it at all. This is quite evident as we review the things told us by our co-workers, by sales people, by others we meet in the course of everyday living, and by our representatives in local, state, and national government, and even sometimes by our own family and friends. Is this right? Should a friend tell us we look good if we don’t; or our family tells us it’s okay to do something when it isn’t; or a salesperson tells us that the suit or dress makes us look good when it really doesn’t?

The answer to some of these questions is quite obvious. The answer to some of them depends upon your point of view. There are those who believe that “honesty is the best policy” no matter what, while others may believe this except when being honest would be harmful to someone. Of course, there are some who believe honesty is a matter of convenience and that the only thing wrong with lying is the fact that later it is often hard to keep their stories straight. And there are those who are pathological liars because they just cannot help it. Is there a difference between a lie and a fib? Is there such a thing as a “little white lie”? This is strictly between you and your conscious. There are many ways you can look upon the subject of lying, and what you do and what you say will ultimately reflect your beliefs.

One example of truth being the best policy is when a doctor tells a patient they have an incurable disease and gives them a prognosis of how much longer they have to live. It may seem harsh but it also prepares the patient to face reality. As many of you know, this happened to me last year, and it has caused me to look at life a little differently. The one good thing about it is that I have lots of family and friends who are standing in faith with me to be completely healed. Was the doctor wrong? With the information she had and looking at things from her perspective, she believed she was telling the truth. Yet it has been interesting to see that, except for the fluid buildup in my abdomen and lung (which get drained every so often), every time I go in my vital signs are all good and the lab reports show everything in the normal range. The truth does not always depend upon what man sees and knows, but what God has planned for each individual. Yes, there will be a time when I will go Home to Heaven, but it is in His timing, not mine – or the doctor’s.

I know that since this has happened, I really appreciate the beauty of the sky and the trees, and all the other beautiful artistry God has provided for us. I thank Him for the wonderful family and all the great prayer warriors He has given me to help me through this time. And I treasure the times when we can be together. Not that I did not always appreciate them and love them, but it is that I have learned not to take them – or anything else – for granted. These are gifts from our Heavenly Father and I treasure them highly.

I pray that as you read this, you will be blessed as you remember all the precious gifts of family and friends He has given to you.

No comments: